Church of Agios Nikolaos Grizano

It is a parish Church and operates during the winter months of the year, from December 6th to March 24th.

Location – Time of construction

The Church was built perhaps in 1860, while the frescoes were done in 1880. The Holy Church of Agios Nikolaos is located in the center of the village, next to the square. It was built at the edge of the village then, because from the square down there were no houses, there were the village gardens and threshing floors.

In the area of Agios Nikolaos until 1881 was the cemetery of the village, which due to the decree issued by the newly established Greek state in 1834 which did not allow the burial of the dead in the areas of the churches, where the faithful went to church and within the cities and of the villages of the Greek State, was moved outside the village at that time, across from the current plot of land of Zisis Michos. It was there even after the redistribution of the plots and the expansion of the village in 1928. From there it was later moved to the place where it is today.

The temple today

The Church after the renovation and configuration that took place in 1984 is the same size as the Church of Agios Georgios which operates during the rest of the year.

The prohibition of weddings and baptisms

The reason why weddings and baptisms are not held in Agios Nikolaos today, may be the fact that the Church was in the area of the cemetery and only funeral services were held. Today in the area of the church, the majestic bell tower, without modifications and conversions, which was built in 1907 and on its roof is the nest of storks and the iron cross, is located and preserved.